Hawkwind - Space Ritual Collector's Edition CD & DV

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Jul 4 12:07:24 EDT 2007

On 03/07/2007 21:28, Michael Crook wrote:
> I don't know what 5.1. is!!

The short answer is: multichannel audio, with 5 main audio channels
(usually left front, left back, center, right front, and right back) and
1 low-frequency channel.  (Stereo is 2-channel audio, left and right).

Done well, 5.1 can sound very cool -- like you're in the middle of the
band (or, for a film, in the middle of a scene, surrounded by the
action) though it's not always done well.

And, obviously, one needs an appropriate 5.1 system to play it back
properly!  These are very common in consumer-level home theatre systems
these days, though.  I haven't got one primarily because the flat I live
in is so small that it's not physically possible to put the rear
speakers, well, _behind_ anything. ;)  Hopefully, I'll move to a larger
place in the foreseeable future and be able to revel in the glories of
all my DVDs that have 5.1 mixes ... and listen to Space Ritual in 5.1 :)

Though, that said, I'd really be interested to hear from anyone who's
heard the 5.1 SR mix, to know if it's any good! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson