OFF: Fear Of Mike Coleman's Black Planet

Wed Jul 25 16:30:24 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:11:11AM -0500, mike coleman typed out:
> Mornin' Jon
> enjoyed reading the porc post

	Flattered as ever, thankyou...

	<snip>

> regarding SD, sure enough my memory was still there......you liked
> "Lightbulb" better...
> on this one lets agree to friendly disagree, same as all those years
> ago....I myself LOVE both records but do prefer SD by a good lead

	I think what I am listening to in PT isn't necessarily what
other people re. For example, at about the same time this mail I'm
answering hit the list, so did another from David K. saying he thought
that _Fear of a Blank Planet_ was a slight but welcome step away from
metal back towards their proggier side. This cheers me as a prospect
but it'd cheer me a lot more to hear someone says "this is a *weird*
album man, like the old psychedelic stuff", because that's what first
got me into them. So I am possibly giving LS and _Deadwing_ the edge
over their immediate preceders simply because they have less noodle and
more tunesmithery where others would see instead pop lightweightness
triumphing over more developed music. How such a person could defend
`Stop Swimming' I don't understand but as you say, I guess we'll have to
agree to differ :-)

> I've sent you a private mail last nite, please look for it if you can if you
> haven't seen it

	Got it, but as behind with that as the rest of my mail, reply
shall reach you never fear. Yours,
				   Jon

ObCD: Hawkwind - _Space Ritual_ (how often does that happen, eh?)
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk