OFF: Fear Of Mike Coleman's Black Planet

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Jul 26 10:19:55 EDT 2007

Quoting Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>:

> 	I think what I am listening to in PT isn't necessarily what
> other people re. For example, at about the same time this mail I'm
> answering hit the list, so did another from David K. saying he thought
> that _Fear of a Blank Planet_ was a slight but welcome step away from
> metal back towards their proggier side.

Though there are parts that are very heavy as well (like the first track).

> This cheers me as a prospect
> but it'd cheer me a lot more to hear someone says "this is a *weird*
> album man, like the old psychedelic stuff", because that's what first
> got me into them.

Well, anyone who said that would be lying. :-)

 So I am possibly giving LS and _Deadwing_ the edge
> over their immediate preceders simply because they have less noodle and
> more tunesmithery where others would see instead pop lightweightness
> triumphing over more developed music. How such a person could defend
> `Stop Swimming' I don't understand but as you say, I guess we'll have to
> agree to differ :-)

I love Stop Swimming. :-)

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"Once I thought I saw you in a crowded hazy bar, dancing on the light