Reefer Madness?

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jul 30 13:12:12 EDT 2007

Stephen Swann writes:

> Yeah a lot of Brits I've known don't view having a couple of
> pints with lunch as "drinking" at all.

For office workers that's frowned upon these days. Back when I started
my career though, we'd regularly have 3 or 4 pints and a couple of
sandwiches in the pub while watching the lunchtime news. Nobody would
bat an eyelid.

> "Drinking" seems to
> start somewhere around the 3-4 pint mark, which they often
> stopped for on the way home work.  I used to go out to the
> pub every couple of weeks with some friends, one of whom was
> from London.  *He* used to view 3 or 4 pints as warmup for
> an evening of drinking...  ;-)

That's pretty normal really. Friday I had 3 in the pub while I read a
few bits'n'pieces to finish off the week, had my dinner, and headed out
to have 6 more. I was up bright'n'early for an airshow the next morning.
It's all just a matter of not drinking to excess...

FoFP