+++stop press+++advertising aid item french hassan+++one man isolator+++

Mary Sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Sat Aug 23 08:28:04 EDT 2008

I agree, try to clean an album blind, some time, especially living with a
cat.

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of Paul Mather
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 5:27 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: +++stop press+++advertising aid item french hassan+++one
man isolator+++

On 22 Aug 2008, at 12:25 PM, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2008, at 10:04 , Steve Swann wrote:
>> If you're talking about the qualitative differences between cd and
>> vinyl, I'm totally with you - I miss everything about vinyl except
>> the maintenance - trying to get that last freaking speck of dust to
>> get rid off the pop it was causing  in the middle of a song used to
>> make me nuts.  But I miss the warmth of sound, the packaging/
>> artwork... Examining the album sleeve as the record played was part
>> of the experience - CD "liner notes" have never cut it...
>

> I'm a total heretic, having moved ever closer to the completely
> digital experience! ;)  I now just rip my CDs losslessly to my
> iTunes libaray, and then store the original CD away.  When possible,
> I buy lossless FLAC files for download and skip the CD entirely
> (though I refuse to buy lossy digital formats); the delivery is
> faster (and, where I am, more likely to arrive! ;)).  Everything
> sits on one giant hard disk and gets backed up to a second giant
> hard disk.  I think I'll shortly need to move up from the current
> 750 GB disks to 1 TB disks, though! :)

Are your two hard drives from different manufacturers, or at least
from different batches if the same model?  There's an increased chance
of simultaneous/close together failures otherwise.  I'd hate for all
your eggs to be lost in one go...

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu