HW: Alan Davey interview

Tue Apr 14 11:48:50 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 08:10:30AM -0500, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> On 13 Mar 2009, at 05:10 , Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> >But I guess quite a lot of us hear music in our heads we'll
> >never be able to make; he certainly comes closer to realising it
> >than I ever will.
>
> Well, you could buy a dodgy old bass or get some software synths and
> DAW software and mess around for a couple of years and then you'd
> probably be quite close to making as much music that you heard in
> your head as ol´ Harvey can/has.  After all, the magic of technology
> make that a lot cheaper and easier than it used to be! :)

	Yes, I *could*, but my to-do list and academic procrastination
powers are so great that we both know that only mid-life crisis and the
eventual failing of my hair will bring this on. Also, my reflexes are
slow and clumsy. So I'll continue to support the efforts of professional
like Litmus and Farflung to make that music for me :-)

> If he's responsible for the synth solo in the _Palace Springs_
> "Golden Void", then I'm going to agree.  IMO, the Brock/Davey/
> Chadwick/House/Bainbridge lineup was the finest "post-Classical"
> Hawkwind lineup there has been.  Much though I like Huw and Tim Blake
> (and even Ron Tree had his moments), that's the one for me. :)  Even
> if the albums _do_ have programmed drums ....

	Well, I've seen Richard use a drum sequencer *live* during
`Space is their Palestine' and I was fine with that. I think the 2001
line-up, when they were doing that indeed, Brock-Davey-Chadwick-
Bainbridge-House-sometimes Huggett-sometimes Brown (eerily similar
really) was as good as it's been and making a better attempt at
incorporating the techno urges than, say, `Acid House of Dreams'... On
the other hand you and I have been arguing "Palace Springs!" -
"California Brainstorm!" since I found out about the albums, right? so
I'm not really expecting to convince you just like that :-) Yours,
								   Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk