HW: Gun-slung-it

Thu Mar 26 12:46:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 09:25:06AM -0500, Lost Johnny typed out:
>                                                          None of the bands
> ,Spaceritual ,Hawkwind ,Alan Davey ,are exactly drawing "great" crowds live
> . They all play small venues with small crowds.  A big part of that is the
> money problems from the economy ,and especially no major record labels to
> fund publicity and promote and pay for tours .But also the fact that in the
> UK ,Nik's Spaceritual crowd won't go see Dave's Hawkwind and Dave's Hawkwind
> crowd won't go see Nik's Spaceritual . And Dave's Hawkwind fans won't go see
> Alan's  Gunslinger and Alan's fans won't go Dave's Hawkwind . And that
> thinking hurts all three bands big time in ticket and record sales and money
> coming in . Come anywhere around Chicago ,and I'll go see all three .

	This just doesn't match my experience at all. There are a fvew
hardliners in the Nik camp who won't go and see Dave, mainly it seems
because Nik's gigs are cheaper or because they count themselves as Nik's
friends. And there is just a size to Hawkwind gigs, with attendant
postering and gig listings for the relevant venues, that mean people
come out for them who don't for the smaller bands, perhaps because they
just don't know. But mainly I see the same people at HW and SR and when
I saw Gunslinger some of them were there too. The opposition is mainly
the bands themselves, really. Yours,
				     Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk