Aural Innovations: New Space Rock Show + Staff Best of 2012 List

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 5 02:35:00 EST 2013

Jerry G. wrote:

>>  Thanks to Keith for the links, I ordered the Brainticket DVD.

No problem.  (Note that the HLL/Brainticket/Nektar DVD is a Cleopatra product, so that means quality control is always a factor.  I noted that the sound for part of Nektar changes fidelity wildly in places for instance.  Luckily, I didn't notice any such defect in the Brainticket part.  But I'm happy to have an official release of this show, with Farflung musicnauts backing Joel for this version of Brainticket, having seen the show here in central PA last year.  Haven't seen a concert since, in fact - pretty miserable pickings in these parts.)

On 1/1/2013 9:09 AM, Jerry Kranitz wrote:
> NOTE: We've also posted our Aural Innovations staff Best of 2012 list. Check
> it out at: http://aural-innovations.com/blog/

Yeah, I put links there so that people could check out some of the music themselves.  In fact, I put together lists for the previous two years to try to catch up a little, as I hadn't really been contributing anything much to A-I.com these past few years (too damn lazy).  So in case you or anyone else wants to discover a few more newish things, here you go.

I like looking at these lists - lots of times I see things there I didn't even know came out.  Already, I have learned that Norway's Seid reunited with a new album, I didn't even know gybe! (godspeed...) have a new album (!), and I found this band called Golden Void in San Fran. that features the guitarist from Earthless.  Gee, I wonder where the name came from?  :)  This one I found at Roadburn, where they have a huge page full of reader-submitted lists.  Resident boc-ler Scott Heller has a list up at his own personal blog too, which has a bunch of stuff that I have never heard too.  Lots of good stuff coming out these days - hard to keep up.

Anyway, here are my lists for '11 and '10 (the latter shortened...ran out of steam, not of qualified candidates!):

Keith H.

Best In Psychedelia/Space Rock/Krautrock/Stoner Rock/Post-rock For 2011
1. Eye - Center Of The Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g44C5FMGcqs
2. Hills - Master
 Sleeps
http://www.roadburn.com/2012/01/album-of-the-day-hills-master-sleeps
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=32555
3. Øresund Space Collective - Entering Into The Space Country
http://oresundspacecollective.bandcamp.com/album/entering-into-the-space-country
4. Fungal Abyss - Bardo Abgrund Temple
http://fungalabyss.bandcamp.com/
5. Gdeva - Kleti Quatro
http://www.last.fm/music/gdeva/Kleti+Quatro
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=32947
6. Baby Guru - S/T
https://soundcloud.com/babyguruband/sets/baby-guru
7. Cave - Neverendless
http://www.dragcity.com/products/neverendless
8. My Brother The Wind - I Wash My Soul In The Stream Of Infinity
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=34909
http://thesodashop.bandcamp.com/track/the-mediator-between-head-and-hands-must-be-the-heart
9. Pyramidal - Dawn In Space
http://pyramidalmusic.bandcamp.com/album/dawn-in-space
10. Electric Moon - Inferno
https://soundcloud.com/electricmoon/mental-record
11. Omnia Opera - Nothing Is Ordinary
http://omniaopera1.bandcamp.com/album/nothing-is-ordinary
12. Black Pyramid - II
http://www.reverbnation.com/theBLACKPYRAMID/song/11162970-endless-agony
http://meteorcity.bandcamp.com/track/night-queen
13. Spaces - Nothing Exists But Atoms And The Void
http://spaces.bandcamp.com
14. Lumerians
 - Transmallinia
http://www.last.fm/music/Lumerians/Transmalinnia
15. Hollow Mirrors - S/T
http://hollowmirrors.bandcamp.com
16. Radar Men From The Moon - Intergalactic Dada & Space Trombones
http://www.last.fm/music/Radar+Men+from+the+Moon/Intergalactic+dada+&+Space+trombones
17. The Timelords - S/T (3 online tracks)
http://the-timelords.soundawesome.com
18. Causa Sui - Pewt'r Sessions 2
https://soundcloud.com/copperyboy/garden-of-forking-paths
19. Trigon - 2011
http://www.last.fm/music/Trigon/2011
20. Liquid Sound Company - Acid Music for Acid People
https://soundcloud.com/ninu71/liquid-sound-company-acid

2011 Archive release of note:
Agitation Free - Shibuya Nights (Live in Tokyo '07)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJOshyERhs

Best In Psychedelia/Space Rock/Krautrock/Stoner Rock/Post-rock For 2010
1. Cayetana - Vulpecula EP
http://www.last.fm/music/cayetana/Vulpecula+EP
2. The Aquarians - Full Moon Tunes
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/aquarians
3. Void Generator - Phantom Hell And Soar Angelic
http://www.reverbnation.com/voidgenerator/songs
4. Vespero - By The Waters Of Tomorrow
http://vespero.bandcamp.com/album/by-the-waters-of-tomorrow
5. U.S. Christmas - Run Thick In The Night
http://www.myspace.com/uschristmas
6. God Is An Astronaut - Age Of The 5th Sun
http://www.last.fm/music/God+Is+an+Astronaut/Age+of+the+Fifth+Sun
7. Serpentina Satelite - Mecanica Celeste
http://serpentinasatelite.bandcamp.com/album/mecanica-celeste
8. Lebowski - Cinematic
http://www.myspace.com/worldofcinematic
http://www.last.fm/music/Lebowski/Cinematic
9. MUTEMATH - Armistice Live
http://www.myspace.com/mutemath/music/albums/armistice-13251642
10. Lonely Kamel - Blues For The Deadhttp://www.myspace.com/lonelykamel/music

2010 Archive release of note:
Aqua Nebula Oscillator - Caves Recordings ('98-'08)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt7wkewHm7Y