OFF: AI Staff Picks for Best of 2013

mary sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Jan 2 13:34:07 EST 2014

Hi Carl, thanks for the links, when I do get a paypal account, I'll send
some cash your way, it costs money to make music.  I do use soundcloud, a
lot.  I hope you and your family are well, and I hope Luna enjoyed the
holidays.  Take care, it's snowing here, maybe a foot, just the kind of
weather to snuggle up with a book and a cat.  I am going to get the Dying
Inside book from the audible book site, as my luck would have it, I get 2
for the price of one, since it is by Silverberg, I'll try the Perkins
Library, first, maybe they have it for free, then I can get 2 books they
don't have.  I know, I can be a scamster, it's from growing up with parents
who lived thru the depression and being from a large family, I've learned to
be frugal, maybe too much so, so I'm going to try to change that, a little
bit, over this year.  I guess it's all balance.

Lots of love,

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2014 12:35 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: OFF: AI Staff Picks for Best of 2013

On 02 Jan 2014, at 10:59 , mary sullivan <maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET>
wrote:
> $3 is more than reasonable for quality music, (which I'm sure it is,
having been there when Chris worked
> with Carl and friends in the studio, a real fun time for me.  We did have
> nice little scene in Boston, fond memories, and thanks to Scott for
> introducing us.  In fact, Carl, if you would, write me, and tell me where
> send the 3 dollars.  I may not have a lot of cash, to hear music made by a
> friend is a very worthwhile cause.

Luckily, no one has to send 3 dollars -- but, on the other hand, no one can
get physical media with my music either! So streaming and downloads are what
there is.

I have music from Espada Negra (my little project with Andy Gilham, ex of
this list) and a few tunes from myself on Bandcamp:
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
https://espadanegra.bandcamp.com/

I like Bandcamp, though I don't know how accessible it is for those who
cannot see!  If it turns out to be terrible for unsighted navigation, you
might be able to write them and tell them. They seem like good enough folks
who run it, and might fix it up. Their focus is on audio, after all -- not
video. :)

I leave visitors the option to "buy" music from those pages, but I don't
exactly go out of my way to encourage it. I'm just a hobbyist -- if people
listen to a few songs and like them, that's more than enough for me.  Of
course, I do get a kick if someone really likes it enough that they throw a
couple of bucks in the hat. Since it is all done through PayPal, and in
several currencies (none local!), I am not quite sure what I would do with
the contributions -- but, so far, the songs haven't earned enough to really
worry about that! :)  After all the fees that would likely apply, I might be
able to spring for a packet of peanuts or something. :)

The same songs (and some more, less polished things!) can also be streamed
or downloaded from Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://soundcloud.com/espada-negra

No options to buy there! :)

I'm actually working on a new recording of one of the songs that I recorded
with Chris 20 years ago, and I'm trying to get the original keyboardist from
that little band, who effectively co-wrote the song with me, to join in on
synths and backing vocals -- but it's a long way from done, yet!

> Dave's show along with Jerry, and Christian, to name the most known shows
> me are a nice way to get the music out there to all of us. No, there isn't
> lot of money in it, but that isn't what it's All about.  Music raises the
> healing vibration of this world, and spreads information, it's easier than
> being a wandering minstrel.

Indeed. I see a lot of value in the online press and a communities that
(inevitably) form around these kinds of artistic creations. There are a lot
of little bands all over the world who can now reach out and touch me from
quite a distance, via individuals and groups who pool and share their
knowledge and resources. I've heard more than a few things from small bands
in the last year where I thought "this is great; I'm gonna buy this", and
you really feel like you're getting something real, made by people not so
different from yourself and liked by more people not so different than
yourself -- for all that I'm getting a download from people I will probably
never meet or see in some other corner of the world. Still feels real. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson