OFF: Metaphysical question... is BOC-L dead?

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at CORIOLIS.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Wed Aug 5 06:05:46 EDT 2015

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015, Michael Holmes wrote:
> One thing I did mean to ask is which Brit festivals would be worth a look
> these days. I used to go to Glastonbury, but when it's wet, it's just to huge
> and guaranteed to turn into a quagmire. I'd quote like a smaller festival
> where there's still some stuff to do other than listen to bands; where the
> food isn't just burgers; and where the music would be of interest to someone
> into Hawk type music and electronica.

 	Dear all,
 		  it seems my unsubscribe command didn't work, which is
worrying at some level but does mean I saw this and have an answer. I
mean, there's Sonic Rock, but since it's moved off the beautiful Welsh
hills into grimy Welsh basements I'm less keen on going.

 	So, this year and once a few years before I've been to Cosmic
Puffin, on Mersea Island off the coast of Essex, and I'd very much
recommend it. You won't see any bands who'd fill a big hall there but this
year there was Krankschaft (who were excellent), the first time I went
there was Litmus, there always seems to be Nukli, and so on, and also lots
that's not space-rock should you feel the urge. It's got a lot bigger
between the two times I've been, there were three stages the first time I
went and six this time, albeit that four of them were in tiny tents and
populated almost entirely by local punk or grunge bands (two of whom were
really good, The Ends (proper punk) and Dingus Khan (indescribable crash-
mash of Blur and the Melvins, with three bass players, two drummers, a
percussionist, one guitarist/singer and a ukelele player, fantastic)).
Food was at least partly burgers but also noodles, falafel, etc. It might
fit your bill!
http://www.cosmicpuffin.org.uk/
Yours,
 	Jon (who would also like to reassure Mike that it was not really
him who made me push the button)

--
   Jonathan Jarrett       "There is scarce any tradition or popular error
Medievalist historian    but stands also delivered by some good author."